Friday, August 18, 2017

Strange Things are Afoot at the Kum and Go (A Halloween Oreo Egg Review)


 

 A bizarrely named convenience store might be the last place you'd expect to find Halloween goodness on the 17th of August, but if you should learn anything in this crazy world we live in, it is not to judge based upon appearances.

I walked in today, completely unsuspecting of the tresaures that I'd find. In fact, I just wanted a beverage. But when I meandered over to ye ol' candy aisle, I was struck with spooky spectacles! 



Now, at first glance of this picture, you may be thinking, "Yeah? So, what?!?"

Look closer.



We have all kinds of goodies, here. We have Resse's pumpkins, Hershey's Candy Corn Bars, and Cauldron Skittles. 



The Cauldron Skittles were interesting, but I wish they'd done more with the bag than put a cauldron at the bottom that looked like it had been appropriated for a LGBQT parade.

They tried to give some spooky flavors like Petrified Pear and Gripping Grape, but this was kind of a half-hearted attempt, if you ask me.

Where are the bats? The cats? The skulls? The pumpkins? 


The M&M's Ghoul's Mix was better. Not only did we get a cool mummy Peanut M&M guy, but I'm digging the colors of the candy, itself. Very Halloweeny.



Next, we move on to the spooky KitKat collection. There are four spooky bar designs, hidden in bat-encrusted, season-appropriate packages. 

I approve.

In fact, I bought one of the bars. I haven't opened it, yet, but when I do, I will post a pic in the comments. I know, what kind of fiend toys with you by purchasing a decorated Halloween candy and then not having the decency to even open the package and post the appropriate pic?

Well, one who has overdosed on extremely sweet new candy, which I will show you below, thank you, very much.



Butterfinger brought back their peanut butter skull Cups. I love these things, but I was on a hunt, today. 


And low and behold! There, stacked between the underwhelming cauldron Skittles and some groovy Frankenstein Bubble Tape, was the first Holy Grail of the year, this year's most celebrated new treat, ladies and gentlemen I give you: The Oreo Halloween Egg. *




Recently, holidays and eggs have gone together like toast and bacon. No longer just satisfied with Easter, Cadbury has decided that every holiday needs a creme egg. I wouldn't be surprised if soon they have an Arbor Day creme egg that you can plant and have a small tree sprout.

Not to be undone, Oreo has created a Halloween Egg. This one is smaller than your average Creme Egg, as you can see in the picture, below.




Obviously, I had to have it. I couldn't very well leave without having one of these eggs in my possession. I snagged it and went straight to my tasting laboratory (a.k.a. my car).

The first thing I noticed was the nifty little Dracula that overlooked the logo, like a protective vampire mother, watching over her little baby (or egg, in this case).




There are actually three different packages. The other two are a pumpkin and ghost. **


They all look fun. I grabbed the vampire by random, but will go back and get the other two before they are all snagged.

The description promised Creme filled candy with cookie pieces! 




Oodelally! That's right up my alley. I eager unwrapped it, and was... confused.

It looked like "chocolate". But the package didn't call it "chocolate". The package called it "candy". What was this sorcery?!?



Tentatively, I took a bite. Nope, not exactly chocolate - at least quality chocolate. I'm not here to slander, but there was something decidedly caroby about the texture and taste.



One of my first impressions was: SWEET!

I don't mean sweet as in the 80's term of endearment concerning something totally righteous. I mean sweet as in diabetes. This thing has sugar and you can feel it attacking your pancreas with every single caroby*** bite.

The creme was classic cookies n cream and there was a satisfying thickness to the thing. I wasn't disappointed in the bite that I took, but I wasn't sure I could take another. This thing is not something I will eat in one setting.

So, yes, I recommend the egg. It tasted good, enough. It wasn't amazing, and certainly isn't better than the classic Cadbury creme egg, but it's worth picking one up, if you see one out and about.

On my way out, I saw something that made my heart happy:




If you understand why this appealed to the Hallow-trickster in me, then we can be friends.




* which I will affectionately refer to as Boooreo!

** I didn't realize this when I grabbed my little Dracula****. I was in a hurry and just picked one.

*** Any claims that the shell is carob is completely unsubstantiated.

**** That came out dirtier than I meant it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment